After my fourth trip to Africa, I’ve learned things the hard way. To wit….
5. Clothes. Once you pack your suitcase, go through it again and take half of clothes out. Avoid excess baggage fees
4. Cash. It’s a global economy, stupid, and the dollar is strong. Your debit card can get local currency at ATMs, sparing you trips to FOREX.
3. Electronic gadgets. Do you really think you will find reliable wifi here? Buy an inexpensive basic phone for local, regional calls. Your locked iPhone won’t make calls.
2. Candy bars and other treats. Really? For your snack fix, you can do better with local samosas, mandazi and my favorite, ground nuts.
1. Plans. You may have a task list in mind. Toss it. Spontaneity works best here.